About the Meals
My meal prep philosophy is simple. Eating should be easy, healthful, and accessible. Here's what I mean:
- EASY – I hope to have you make as few decisions as possible, which makes it easy for you to eat well. While I understand that you may have some food aversions, this lack of options is a key component in making eating EASY. I encourage you to push your food boundaries and think of your food as fuel for a healthy and happy life.
- ACCESSIBLE– I strive to keep the cost of healthful eating low. Because of this I do not provide meals that are organic or locally sourced, though my food is still prepared with whole, natural ingredients. While eating organic food that is close to its origin has some health benefits and is a more ethical way of eating, my main priority in starting Made by Mel is making un-processed food a realistic option for everyone, everyday. My goal is to prepare food the same way that you would at home... only I do the cooking!
- HEALTHFUL – MbM will provide balanced meals that contain relative amounts of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins that meet the nutritional needs of the general population. If you have a health condition that requires a specialized diet, I recommend that you seek out a Registered Dietitian to meet your personal needs.
All of my meals are made assuming that you will eat 4 meals (or 3 meals and a hearty snack) each day. You can order all 4 of these meals from me, or pick and choose what to order and what to make for yourself. Find what works for your life! If you only intend to eat 3 meals a day, size up to ensure that you're getting the fuel you need. If your nutritional needs are greater than 2000 calories/day, plan to eat more more frequently and/or add in calorie-dense snacks.
- SMALL meals are based around a 1500 calorie/day diet and contain 350-400 calories each.
- MEDIUM meals are based around a 1800 calorie/day diet and contain 425-475 calories each.
- LARGE meals are based around a 2000 calorie/day diet and contain 475-525 calories each.
If you are unsure of your nutritional needs, I recommend that you seek out a Registered Dietitian for guidance.
All meals are prepared in a common kitchen in which I cook with nuts, dairy, eggs, wheat, and soy. If you would like information about the ingredients, potential allergens, or micro-nutrients of any meal please e-mail me at Melanee@made-by-mel.com.